I found the basis for this recipe in a magazine somewhere. This is not a saucy dish, but it's healthy and yummy. Though the recipe calls for just a few basic ingredients, I've added veggies (mushrooms, broccoli) and chicken (Schwan's pre-cooked fajita chicken is really good in this--just thaw it out and throw it in!) to make it a full meal. It's easiest to cut everything up while the pasta water heats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne
- 2 -3 pints cherry tomatoes or 2 -3 pints grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Heat water for pasta.
- 2Heat olive oil in large skillet and saute garlic for a minute or so.
- 3Add tomatoes, salt & pepper.
- 4Start cooking the pasta now.
- 5Cook tomatoes over medium heat for ~7 minutes.
- 6Add basil. (If you're adding additional ingredients, do so here.) Simmer 3-5 minutes (or until your veggies are as tender as you want them).
- 7**I've found that adding a little bit of pasta water to tomato mixture before you drain the penne really evens out the dish.
- 8Toss tomato mixture and parmesan with pasta. Serve with fresh Italian or French bread.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Cherry Tomatoes & Fresh Basil
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.8
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.9 mg
- Sodium 197.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 14.9 g