Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A flavourful vegetarian pasta dish.
- 500 g penne pasta
- 4 zucchini, cut into 1cm cubes
- 400 g butternut pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 red capsicums, grilled skinned cut into segments
- 1 yellow capsicum, grilled skinned cut into segments
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly brush zucchini and pumpkin with little oil.
- Roast garlic, pumpkin, tomatoes and zucchini until pumpkin and zucchini are golden.
- Remove garlic and allow to cool.
- Add capsicum to baking tray and season. Continue to heat.
- Meanwhile cook pasta until al dente.
- Cut of tops of garlic cloves and push cooked garlic into serving bowl. Mix with olive oil and basil.
- Toss penne with vegetables in the prepared oil.
Definitely full of flavour and very colourful, although the recipe was not clear on how much oil to use and we found the pasta a touch dry. Maybe next time adding a little extra butter or oil to the pasta before mixing it with the vegetables would be a good idea. We played around with the veggies a bit, using pumpkin, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, carrots and green peppers. We also used a dollop of pesto as we did not have fresh basil and served topped with grated cheese.