Recipe by Manami
This dish is very good but because it has anchovies, many people stick up their noses at it but you should try it, you might even like it.
Top Review by spreadnjoy
This was a very good meal, I meant to serve it with BBq porkchops, which I did for the rest of my family. I however just ate this... I really liked it! I did cut the red pepper flakes in half, since I have small children and I used black beans rather then cannellini beans, because I prefer their flavor. My vegetarian S-I-L was here and tried out some of the pasta, she liked it, but said it needed a little something more... maybe more garlic, or chives. All in all I liked it and will make it again. It was a bit involved to put it together but you gave great instructions!!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 flat anchovies, patted dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped into small bits
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup cannellini beans or 1 cup other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 lb penne or 3⁄4 lb other penne pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients and mince to form paste.
- Set aside.
- Heat 1/8 cup olive oil in a large(large enough to cook pasta, as well) nonreactive pot over medium high heat.
- Add breadcrumbs and cook 3-4 minutes, until crisp, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Italian seasoning and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe pot clean with a paper towel.
- Heat remaining oil in same pot over medium high heat.
- Sauté onion and red pepper, till soft(about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic paste and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until garlic begins to soften.
- Stir in beans, tomato, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook about 1 minute until heated throughout.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Using same pot, cook pasta in boiling salted water 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook another 5 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
- Drain through a colander, removing as much liquid as possible.
- Lightly stir pasta into bean mixture.
- Serve sprinkled with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.