This dish is very good but because it has anchovies, many people stick up their noses at it but you should try it, you might even like it.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 flat anchovies, patted dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped into small bits
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup cannellini beans or 1 cup other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 lb penne or 3⁄4 lb other penne pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Combine first 3 ingredients and mince to form paste.
- Set aside.
- Heat 1/8 cup olive oil in a large(large enough to cook pasta, as well) nonreactive pot over medium high heat.
- Add breadcrumbs and cook 3-4 minutes, until crisp, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Italian seasoning and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe pot clean with a paper towel.
- Heat remaining oil in same pot over medium high heat.
- Sauté onion and red pepper, till soft(about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic paste and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until garlic begins to soften.
- Stir in beans, tomato, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook about 1 minute until heated throughout.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Using same pot, cook pasta in boiling salted water 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook another 5 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
- Drain through a colander, removing as much liquid as possible.
- Lightly stir pasta into bean mixture.
- Serve sprinkled with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.