Recipe by Ms*Bindy
This is a quick, 5 ingredient recipe. It comes from Light and Tasty. You should definitely be using the Italian-style diced tomatoes that come already seasoned with herbs for flavor. If you use plain diced tomatoes, just add some herbs to your liking when putting this recipe together.
Top Review by MelaJHASL
I googled cannelini bean recipe and this is one of the ones that popped up. You see, I'm on a very tight budget right now and really don't have much; cannelini beans, pasta, diced tomatoes and Spinach is what I did have, yay! It worked out splendidly except I added Italian seasoning since I had plain diced tomatoes as well as powdered garlic and forgot about the spinach and added it in later. I don't have Romano cheese so at first I used mozzarella, for leftovers I used a mixture of cheeses. It was really good, simple and very affordable.
For those who say it didn't taste that great, sure it was a bit plain and if I had been thinking more I would've added some garlic and I'm sure onion would be awesome in it too or mushrooms for that matter, but even as simple as I made it was great, and healthy.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In large saucepan, combine the tomatoes and beans, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach, cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Drain pasta, top with the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.