Recipe by Bev. E.
This recipe was in Eating Well. It is very tasty and I wanted to share.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
This is delicious! Finally, a recipe for squash that DH and I agree is a keeper! I love the stuff, he doesn't so much. I followed the recipe to a "T"; the only difference being that I used turkey bacon b/c I don't eat pork. I especially loved the subtle warmth from the crushed red pepper. Next time I might be tempted to add lentils or perhaps some walnuts, but just for fun. The recipe is definitely not lacking. Thanks so much for posting!
- 2 ounces center-cut reduced-fat bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 8 cups swiss chard, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne or 8 ounces rigatoni pasta or 8 ounces fusilli
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for cooking the pasta.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel.
- Pour off fat and add onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Return the bacon to the pan and add broth and squash; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chard and stir to immerse.
- Cover and cook until the squash and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until tender, 8-10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Add the squash mixture.
- Parmesan, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
- For vegetarian variation: Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and 4 ounces cubed smoked tofu for the bacon.
- Step 2, heat 2 tsp olive oil in skillet.
- Add tofu and cook, stirring until lightly browned, 3-5 minute.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add onion to pan and continue with the recipe.