Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick to assemble dinner made with ingredients found in the fridge and pantry. From FoodTV.ca.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb penne
- ground black pepper
- Saute the onions with the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan until they soften and begin to turn brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, olives and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt if needed.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add lots of salt and then the pasta.
- Stir well and cook the pasta until it's just tender, about 9 minutes.
- Drain the pasta but don't rinse it, then toss immediately with the sauce.
I've tried this recipe after seeing it on TV, I like it very much but it's more of a strong tomatoe flavour than I am normally used to in sauces, but this is just personal taste. Excellent recipe anyways. Also may want to try half black half green or all green olives, all variations are good :)