Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great way to eat pasta and beef! It's delicious and not too complicated.
- 1 (1 lb) New York strip steak
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more for steak and pasta water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more for steak
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cups chopped arugula
- Season the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper, herbs de Provence, and minced garlic.
- In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook steak about 7 minutes per side.
- Remove the meat from pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, fresh herbs, and 3/4 cup olive oil.
- In a large bowl toss the pasta with half of the salad dressing and the reserved pasta water.
- Add the arugula and steak, more dressing, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
- Toss and serve.
10 for flavor!! BUT... I would rather not fry in extra virgin olive oil, 7 minutes per side is way overdone for us & i saw no need for adding pasta water to the dish at the end. We used most of the dressing - added 1/2 when directed then we all topped our individual servings. when we were done it was almost gone. Absolutely delicious! But it doesn't keep well - the pasta soaks up the dressing & gets mushy, the arugula wilts. But there is just *something* about steak & arugula that just makes my toes tingle. Easy to double & will serve a crowd with little effort. I used a 5oz container of arugula which was just right. Thank you for sharing! Made for Diabetic Forum's Greens Tag.