Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of my all-time favorites, and anyone who has ever tried it has heartily agreed. It is simple, it is delicious and perfect as a meatless meal. However, if you do feel the need to fill it out some more, the pancetta option works really great, too!
- 453.59 g penne rigate
- 453.59 g asparagus, cooked
- 44.37 ml butter
- 59.16 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 113.39 g diced pancetta (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (822.13 g) can diced tomatoes
- 44.37 ml heavy cream
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- Put water on for pasta; salt when boiled. Cook pasta according to package directions, then drain.
- Meanwhile, cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat, add pancetta (if using) and saute for 3 minutes. Then, add garlic and asparagus pieces and saute for an additional 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, slowly for about 15 minutes. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until well-combined.
- Add cream; cook and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Pour over cooked pasta and serve. Pass additional Parmesan cheese to taste.
I really enjoyed this dish! I made for 2 servings but probably 3 servings worth of asparagus since I had a little more than needed left. I liked how easy it was and blended well together; even 1yr old DD liked it! Made for Football Pool 2013-14 Win.
Made this for lunch today and thought it was tasty. I might actually cut back on the tomatoes a little next time as I thought they overpowered the dish somewhat (e.g., I couldn't detect the 4 cloves of garlic I put in). I thought this dish was easy to prepare. Thanks! Made for ZWT4.