Recipe by Ingy
This is similar but better then a dish served at my favorite restaurant Abruzzo in Hood River, Oregon.
Top Review by Kelly_Green
This was absolutely delicious! I made a couple minor alterations because I wanted to use what I already had on hand... half and half in place of the cream, and a combination of asiago and romano cheeses rather than parmesan.. I will definitely make it again!
- 3⁄4 lb penne pasta
- 1 lb asparagus, fiborous ends snapped off, peeled if thick, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (divided)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring often, until it's just tender, about 9 minutes.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside, then stir in the asparagus and cook until both the penne and the asparagus are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Drain well and return the asparagus and pasta to the pot along with 3/4 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream, 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes so cheese melts; add more of the pasta water if mixture becomes dry.
- Stir in the chives, lemon zest and the lemon juice. Season generously with salt, pepper and more lemon juice to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkling of the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.