1/2 Photos of Penne With Asparagus and Cream Sauce
merron-iru kami's Note:
A beautifully simple garlicky cream sauce, roasted asparagus and whole wheat penne come together for an excellent vegetarian meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the pasta
For the Sauce
- 1Prepare pasta according to box directions.
- 2While pasta is cooking, wash asparagus, break off the woody stems and arrange on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Broil for 5-10 minutes until the asparagus is tender (to your personal taste). Once cooked, chop asparagus roughly and toss it with drained pasta in a large serving bowl.
- 3Melt butter in a sauce pan and add garlic, sauteing until it is turning golden and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- 4Whisk in wheat flour to form a roux, being careful to avoid any lumps. When it is perfectly smooth, add white wine, whisking to incorporate.
- 5Return saute pan to the heat, allow alcohol to evaporate (should take about 30 seconds) and immediately whisk in heavy cream.
- 6Continuing to whisk, add shredded Gouda and stir gently until it melts. Once melted, add remaining ingredients and bring to temp., or just until the sauce begins to bubble.
- 7Pour sauce over pasta and asparagus. Toss and garnish with toasted walnuts, if desired.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Asparagus and Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.3
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 172.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 11.4 g