Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lots of steps; but well-worth making. Guests love this one with grilled chicken. From Good Housekeeping.
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne or 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta
- 1 cup water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk or 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt & ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, cubed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat large saucepot of water to boiling over high heat.
- Add pasta and cook 2 minutes less than label directs.
- Drain and return to pot with pat of butter.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F
- In microwave-safe 4-cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, heat water in microwave oven on High 1 ½-2 minutes or until boiling.
- Stir in porcini mushrooms; let stand 15 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, remove porcini; rinse to remove any grit.
- Finely chop and set aside.
- Strain soaking liquid through sieve lined with paper towel and set aside.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 8-9 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in porcini and thyme.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture in saucepan; cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Whisk in milk, mushroom liquid, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat to boiling over medium-high heat; cook 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring frequently.
- Add porcini sauce to pasta in saucepot.
- Stir in Fontina, ricotta, and 1/2 cup Parmesan until combined.
- Spoon pasta into 3-quart ceramic baking dish; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until center is hot and top is golden.