Recipe by Abby Girl
This recipe comes from a famous Vancouver restaurant chef/owner Ken Bogas. Alot of the prep work can be done ahead of time.
Top Review by reginalrogers
This is really good. Since my husband likes pasta without a lot of sauce I thought I would try this. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out delicous. I would make this again. This is a restaurant quality dish. Thanks for sharing
- 4 hot Italian sausages
- 796 ml Italian tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup basil, coarsely chopped (loosely packed)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons carrots, finely trated
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb penne pasta (about 5 cups)
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer sausages in water for about 5 minutes or until just cooked; let cool. Coarsely chop tomatoes on food processor.
- In large skillet, heat 2 T olive oil. Add basil, onion, garlic and carrots; saute until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Cut sausages diagonally into thin slices. In small skillet, saute sausages in remaining 2 T olive oil until lightly browned. (make sure that the oil is very hot or the sausage will fall apart) Add mushrooms and saute until tender. Add mushrooms and sausages to tomato sauce; simmer 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta in large amount of boiling salted water until tender; drain and return to saucepan. Add sauce and toss. Serve with parmesan cheese.