Recipe by gobruijns
One of my favorite summer fares. This recipe is from a 1997 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Very wonderful mix of flavors. Use the dressing to taste. You may need to make either more dressing or more pasta, depending on the strength you want it.
Top Review by jewelsf
This was ok, but I don't think I feel compelled to make it again. The dressing is good but I think the penne is the wrong choice for this salad. I think something like a rotelle or something with more ridges would have been better. The flavor combo is ok, but not exciting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs penne or 1 1⁄2 lbs rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- 1 cup roasted cashews, salted, coarsely chopped (about 4 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer asparagus to small bowl. Cool.
- Add pasta to same pot and cook until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain well.
- Transfer pasta to very large bowl.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon oil. Cool.
- Blend cup oil, green onions, vinegar and soy sauce in blender until smooth, about 2 minutes. (Asparagus, pasta and dressing can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
- Pour dressing over pasta.
- Add asparagus, spinach and cashews; toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.