This recipe is an original creation specifically for the cooking contest. I used the mild Italian sausages but you could increase the heat by using the spicy type & adding more cumin. I served it with Caesar salad & Garlic bread. My DH just loved the sauce & wants me to make this dish again!!
- 1 lb Italian pork sausage (sweet or spicy)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into strips
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄3 cup vodka
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb penne
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- Prick sausage casings several times& cook in lightly salted, boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain, cool& slice into rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
- Melt butter& oil in a very large skillet.
- Add sausages, onion & garlic; cook on medium heat until sausages are lightly browned.
- Add peppers & zucchini & cook for 2 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add penne & cook, according to package directions, until al dente (approx 9 minutes).
- Drain well.
- In the meantime, add tomato sauce, salt, pepper & cumin to the sausage mixture.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add vodka & cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the cream, nutmeg& Parmesan; simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add pasta to skillet; toss or stir well and serve sprinkled with parsley & additional Parmesan.
A good pasta recipe. Easy to make, good flavor. I cut it in half without any problem and have enough left for lunch. I also did not use the best sausage, and if I had I'm sure it would make it even better. There's nothing really different, nusual or "knock me off my feet" about it, but its just a good basic recipe. Also, I dont like my pasta drowning in sauce, I like just enough to nicely coat the pasta with maybe a little for bread dipping, and this recipe was perfect for my liking. Very good and I think I would make it again, especially when zucchini season comes around.
I did use both hot and sweet sausage. The cumin you didn`t even know it was in there! I also added the peppers and zucchini at the same time with the onions and garlic.The parmesan I let everyone add there own.This is something I would make again. It seems like I`ve made it before! My style of cooking! Just loved it! I could eat the whole thing!
Thank you for a delicious, easy recipe. I made this exactly as written (except I cut in in half) for dinner today and it was wonderful. All the ingredients worked so well together. I will definately make this again. Thanks for posting.