Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dish came together one weeknight from what we had in the fridge/cupboards. I wrote it down so I won't forget and can make it again. Enjoy :)
- 1 lb penne pasta, dry
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Remove sausage from casing if necessary and brown in 1 tbsp butter, preferably in a large wok or sauce pan.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in boiling salted water.
- Add chopped garlic to sausage and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt and black& red peppers.
- Add additional 1 tbsp butter and melt.
- Sprinkle with flour; stir well to ensure flour is absorbed.
- Add milk and bring to boiling.
- When the mixture starts to boil, reduce to low heat, add herbs and parmesan, and stir well.
- Simmer on low heat 2-5 minutes, stirring frequently (to desired thickness).
- Drain pasta and add to wok/skillet; stir to coat with sauce and heat through.
- Top with chopped fresh scallions and additional red pepper flakes and/or grated parmesan if desired.