Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a Quick Cooking cookbook and it was a hit at a family gathering.
- 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked measurement
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 lb salami, cubed
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, sliced style
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, peppers, salami, olives, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in pasta.
- Spoon 1/2 of the mixture into a 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle 1/2 the cheese on top, repeat with the other half of mixture and cheese.
- Place in oven and bake 15 miunutes.
Really good! We used our favourite deli peppercorn salami so it was nice & spicy. I omitted the olives, as a personal preference, but followed the recipe otherwise.
I'd expected this to be spicier. Made per the recipe, but felt like something was missing. Have a pan of it in the freezer, so will see if I can easily tweak it to our tastes. Updated 6/23/12: This tweaked to taste really easily. I added a bit of seasoned salt, basil, and a pinch of chili flakes, and it was fine.
Jellyqueen, this has been in my "to try" list for a while, and I finally made it, and wish I had made it sooner! This is really good! I didn't put peppers in--I don't really like them, but the olives added such great flavor, I loved it! I also only had a 15 oz can of tomato sauce, so used that instead of diced tomatoes. I whipped it up one night so I could pop it in the oven the next night, and then that night, I wasn't able to make dinner. I heated it up anyway, and ate it for "leftovers" for lunch the next day, and even having not gotten to eat it "fresh" it is still really good! I'm looking forward to getting to eat it fresh, and looking forward to leftovers as well!***Edited to add a star rating--I have a hard time getting that in there with the new rating format.