Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my homemade try at the "Penne Rosa" they serve at Noodles and Co. Its not exactly the same, but it IS almost as yummy! If you do not like spicy pastas, leave out the red pepper flakes or add more if you like a little kick!
- 1 (1 lb) box penne pasta
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 (16 ounce) jars alfredo sauce (I use 'light' Alfredo sauce to cut a few calories)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) container sliced mushrooms
- red pepper flakes
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Fill a medium size pot with water and add red pepper flakes, bring to boil, add penne noodles.
- Cut chicken into pieces and cook thoroughly. Set aside and keep warm.
- Saute mushrooms.
- Thaw spinach and drain out all excess water.
- In a large saucepan mix Alfredo sauce, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, spinach and more red pepper flakes (to taste). Simmer on low for 15-20 minute.
- Drain pasta and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add chicken to pasta and stir.
- Add sauce and stir.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and additional red pepper flakes if desired.
Great recipe that is better than Noodles in my opinion. The only thing I would change the next time I make it is to not use 2 jars of alfredo sauce. I think one jar would be plenty enough sauce and maybe go lighter on the spinach. I prefer some spinach and the whole box seemed to be a bit too much. I also would use fresh spinach next time and saute it a little with the mushroom.
This was even better than Noodles! My husband ate 4 bowls! Thanks
Thanks tiffanylynn, made just as written no, but I changed this or changed that. Never have understood those that completely change the recipe and then write a review. It was fantastic, everyone loved it the day of and my DW had it for lunch the next day.