This is my homemade try at the "Penne Rosa" they serve at Noodles and Co. Its not exactly the same, but it IS almost as yummy! If you do not like spicy pastas, leave out the red pepper flakes or add more if you like a little kick!
- 1 (1 lb) box penne pasta
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 (16 ounce) jars alfredo sauce (I use 'light' Alfredo sauce to cut a few calories)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) container sliced mushrooms
- red pepper flakes
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Fill a medium size pot with water and add red pepper flakes, bring to boil, add penne noodles.
- Cut chicken into pieces and cook thoroughly. Set aside and keep warm.
- Saute mushrooms.
- Thaw spinach and drain out all excess water.
- In a large saucepan mix Alfredo sauce, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms, spinach and more red pepper flakes (to taste). Simmer on low for 15-20 minute.
- Drain pasta and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add chicken to pasta and stir.
- Add sauce and stir.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and additional red pepper flakes if desired.