Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make this only if you are a lover of capers, anchovies and Kalamata olives....if you love food with extreme flavor, then you will love this dish!
- 1 lb penne pasta (uncooked, can use more)
- 3 lbs chicken thighs
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies, drained and chopped (RESERVE the oil, can use 2 cans!)
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1⁄4 cup capers (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Cook the penne in a large pot of salted boiling water until JUST firm-tender; drain, cover and set aside.
- Season the chicken thighs with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Heat oil from the anchovies with some olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the chicken thighs and brown/cook for about 15 minutes (7-8 minutes on each side) remove the chicken to a bowl.
- Add in chopped anchovies, garlic, onion and red pepper flakes; saute for 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken back to the skillet and add in crushed tomatoes, olives and capers; simmer over medium heat or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the sauce has thickened (about 1 hour) season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the cooked pasta to the sauce; stir to coat the pasta.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
I really enjoy this recipe, and my family does too! I did add a few more spices (basil and oregano, and extra garlic), to suit my family's taste. I also served over Angel Hair pasta instead. This recipe is so flavorful. Even those that don't necessarily like the idea of Anchovies, have enjoyed this dish at my home.
This dish is so delicious! I used boneless/skinless chicken thighs so they only took a few minutes to cook, nowhere near the hour it calls for which I assume is for regular chicken thighs. DH is not picky but he does not get excited about food and he could not stop raving about this dish so I know for sure that this is a winner! I will be making this very often, thank you for the awesome recipe!
This was delicious. A perfect combination of flavors. The chicken thighs were a nice addition to an already tastey meal. Served with garlic bread and red wine.