Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe comes from Cooking Light. It is nice as a main meal or a side dish.
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh romano cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 cups uncooked penne (about 8 ounces)
- We reduced the amount of oil, pine nuts, cheese, and butter usually found in a classic pesto, cutting 28 grams of fat per serving without losing any flavor.
- Avoid packing the basil leaves when you measure them so you won't use too much.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until finely minced.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Stir in cheeses and butter until blended.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking liquid to pesto, tossing to coat.