Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an excellent pasta dish to be served with any chicken dishes.
Make and share this Penne Pasta with Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 226.79 g penne pasta, dry
- 946.36 ml broccoli florets
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 473.18 ml sliced fresh mushrooms
- 473.18 ml sliced zucchini
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml hot red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 946.36 ml fresh spinach, chopped small
- 2.46 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 0.59 ml salt
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Add broccoli for the last 2 minutes of cooking pasta.
- Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, add olive oil, garlic, onion and mushrooms and saute' for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add sliced zucchini and continue to saute' for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in spinach and lemon rind; cook covered for 2 minutes or until spinach is tender.
- When done, add cooked mixture to pasta/broccoli and toss to coat well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
used lemon juice instead of rind, mozzarella with dry parmesion , no zuchini ... everything else was exact and it was great. cant wait to do it again with zuchini and squash. yum! thank you.
Very much enjoyed. I added extra lemon zest, spinach and omitted the zucchini. Personal preference. :)
I can always depend on Uncle Bill for a fantastic supper! This dish is no exception. The medley of flavors is a treat. I might add some chicken or shrimp to this dish the next time I make it to complete the meal. Thanks, Uncle Bill!** Edited (1/30/2012) to add that I continue making this wonderful recipe now that we are making the switch to meatless meals. The only changes I make now is to use canola oil in place of the olive (to make even healthier), use vegetable broth in place of the chicken and eliminate the Parmesan ~ Thanks again, Uncle Bill for sharing all your fabulous recipes!!