Recipe by Miss Annie
This is a great pasta dish if you like Gorgonzola cheese. Combined with the tomatoes and basil, it makes a wonderful dish. We enjoy it with a crisp green salad, or spinach salad, and garlic sticks.
Top Review by Bev
Miss Annie, this pasta dish is so incredibly good, I can't imagine that it has not been reviewed before now! It only took a short while to prepare and we enjoyed it so much! The only change I made was to use a 28 oz can of plum tomatoes instead of the 14oz can. I don't think I would want to use less after tasting it this way! Just the right mix! I did use the fresh basil and parmesan cheese. I just loved the gorgonzola cheese! It won't be long before we are having this recipe again! Thanks for another wonderful supper, Miss Annie!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces gorgonzola
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup grated romano cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and saute until clear, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and basil.
- Cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter with the Gorgonzola with a spoon, until blended.
- Cook pasta until just tender, but still firm to the bite; drain well.
- Return pasta to pot.
- Whisk Gorgonzola mixture into tomato sauce.
- Add sauce to pasta and stir to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.