Miss Annie's Note:
This is a great pasta dish if you like Gorgonzola cheese. Combined with the tomatoes and basil, it makes a wonderful dish. We enjoy it with a crisp green salad, or spinach salad, and garlic sticks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces gorgonzola
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup grated romano cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add chopped onion and garlic and saute until clear, about 8 minutes.
- 3Stir in chopped tomatoes and basil.
- 4Cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, beat the butter with the Gorgonzola with a spoon, until blended.
- 6Cook pasta until just tender, but still firm to the bite; drain well.
- 7Return pasta to pot.
- 8Whisk Gorgonzola mixture into tomato sauce.
- 9Add sauce to pasta and stir to coat.
- 10Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne Pasta With Tomatoes and Gorgonzola
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 967.3
- Calories from Fat 483
- Total Fat 53.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.9 g
- Cholesterol 115.1 mg
- Sodium 1062.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 26.1 g