Recipe by JanuaryBride
Very fast, very easy, rich/creamy, yet much lower in calories and fat than the traditional recipes. Make this a one dish meal by adding some sauteed mushrooms, shallots, frozen peas and top it off with a grilled chicken breast. Recipe from verybestbaking.com.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
I thoroughly enjoyed this easy yet tasty dish. I added a little minced garlic, but otherwise stuck with the recipe as written. But that will not be the end of this recipe. I will make this again and experiment with additions like mushroom, cooked chicken and maybe chopped zucchini. It was so yummy and it could easily go a plethora of different ways, depending on my mood. Thanks for your recipe, JanuaryBride. Made for Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef.
- 2 cups dry penne pasta
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Italian 4 cheese works well)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE pasta according to package directions, adding sun-dried tomatoes to boiling pasta water for last two minutes of cooking time; drain.
- MEANWHILE, COMBINE evaporated milk, cheese, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper in medium saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- ADD pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to cheese sauce; stir until combined.