Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very fast, very easy, rich/creamy, yet much lower in calories and fat than the traditional recipes. Make this a one dish meal by adding some sauteed mushrooms, shallots, frozen peas and top it off with a grilled chicken breast. Recipe from verybestbaking.com.
- 2 cups dry penne pasta
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Italian 4 cheese works well)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion flakes
- PREPARE pasta according to package directions, adding sun-dried tomatoes to boiling pasta water for last two minutes of cooking time; drain.
- MEANWHILE, COMBINE evaporated milk, cheese, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper in medium saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- ADD pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to cheese sauce; stir until combined.
I thoroughly enjoyed this easy yet tasty dish. I added a little minced garlic, but otherwise stuck with the recipe as written. But that will not be the end of this recipe. I will make this again and experiment with additions like mushroom, cooked chicken and maybe chopped zucchini. It was so yummy and it could easily go a plethora of different ways, depending on my mood. Thanks for your recipe, JanuaryBride. Made for Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef.
I gave this 5 stars as it got mixed reviews of 4 to 5 stars as you can't give 4 1/2 and we were leaning closer to 5 stars that is what I chose. I thought this was so easy to prepare and it tasted great, the only thing was, I too did not like the texure or how thin the sauce was so I added some cornfour to thicken and it turned out perfect. I also added fresh basil instead of dried as I love the flavour this brings to a dish and I used January Brides note and added some shreded chicken from a store bought chook to make it a complete dinner meal for my family. My son is the pasta connasuir in our family as he loves it and orders it loads when we go out and although he thought it was only worth 4 stars he did say that this recipe has gone into about 8th place of his all time favourite pasta recipes. I loved how easy this was to preapre and the taste was wonderful, on the whole it is a great week night meal for the family. Thanks JB for sharing this recipe it is one that we will be enjoying again and again...
I really liked this simple and tasty recipe. The only thing I wasn't super keen on was the consistency of the sauce. The sauce was goopy and didn't coat the pasta, it just slid around on the pasta. maybe a different kind of cheese would produce a more "cling-y" sauce? But the taste was wonderful! thanks.