This is an absolutely fabulous pasta side dish I created to go along with my scallops in white wine sauce. It really highlights the scallops. Hope you enjoy!!
- Cut the asparagus into one inch pieces; reserving the tips.
- Cook asparagus in 5 quarts of water until very tender 6-8 minutes.
- Reserve the water by using a slotted spoon to remove the asparagus to a colander.
- Put the drained asparagus in a food processor.
- Cook the tips for 3-5 minutes until just tender.
- Remove from water with slotted spoon, reserving the water.
- Puree the stems with the lemon zest and oil and 1/2 cup of the asparagus water.
- Cook the pasta in the asparagus water to your liking.
- Drain the pasta saving 2 cups of the water.
- Combine the pasta, asparagus sauce and add asparagus water if the sauce is too thick- a little at a time.
- Stir in tips and grated cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve with a light dusting of chopped parsley.
I made this with your scallops recipe, and they complimented each other nicely. I do agree with the other posters that it could use garlic though, so I will add it next time. Used vegan parm but otherwise made as directed. I really like not throwing half of my asparagus away, and this will be a great thing to make when you find fat asparagus super cheap.
I think this is a completely genius idea. I always feel guilty throwing out the asparagus stems because they're too tough to eat. It seems like such a waste! Making this creamy sauce from the pureed vegetable is such a great trick. I did make one change. I thought it could use a little garlic. Before I added the olive oil to the food processor, I heated it up with two cloves of chopped garlic. Thanks for sharing!
This was delicious. I love green veggies as pasta sauce/pesto. I added garlic and salt and pepper. Personal pref but for us it would have been a little flat without it. This would be best served with seafood or a light chicken dish. Trying to use up food in fridge and had this with meatloaf. I had a feeling the meatloaf would overpower it (and I was right) so we just ate the bowl of pasta first then the meatloaf. I'll make this again and I'd like to serve it with lemon chicken!