1/2 Photos of Penne Pasta Salad With Roasted Red Peppers and Fresh Basil
3 hrs 40 mins
Highland Lass's Note:
Celebrate the late summer harvest of red peppers with this simple and light pasta salad. You can easily substitute roasted peppers from a jar. This recipe is from an obscure little cookbook with fabulous recipes called “Canada Cooks Pasta”. I have a propensity for lemon and increase the amount of zest and juice. As a matter of fact, I increase the feta and basil as well! This is a great brunch, pot luck or buffet salad! Note: Whether you use fresh peppers or jarred, ensure you dry them thoroughly...you really don't want a pink salad!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded or 6 roasted red peppers, deseeded
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaf, cut into 1/8 strips, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, dried and crumbled
- 1 lb penne (or other short tube pasta)
- 1Slice peppers into ¼” wide strips, lengthwise. Place strips in a large bowl.
- 2Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon rind, salt and pepper.
- 3Toss dressing with the red pepper strips.
- 4Stack the basil leaves on top of one another and roll up. Slice the leaves crosswise into thin ribbons. This is called a “chiffonade” in case you want to impress your friends.
- 5Toss the basil leaves with the peppers. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- 6Cook the pasta al dente in large pot of boiling water with 1 tablespoons each salt and olive oil. Drain, rinse briefly and cool to room temperature.
- 7Combine pasta with marinated peppers and dressing.
- 8Add crumbled feta cheese. Taste and adjust salt, add liberal grindings of black pepper.
- 9Cool salad in fridge 1-2 hours before serving or salad may be chilled overnight and brought to room temperature 1 - 2 hours before serving.
- 10Garnish with basil chiffonade.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne Pasta Salad With Roasted Red Peppers and Fresh Basil
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 843.4
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 50.6 mg
- Sodium 933.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 18.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh basil leaves