Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my stab at Romano's Macaroni Grill's dish called "Penne with Oven Roasted Chicken". I think it is my favorite chicken and pasta dish, and I've tried alot of them and made up a few myself. I found a couple of recipes for this but could not get the exact ingredients so I improvised and this is what I ended up with. I added no salt as the chicken broth and cooking wine I used both had salt. I think it's pretty close, not exactly Romano's but still YUMMY! Specifics: I used Perdue's Perfect Portions Roasted Garlic with White Wine Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breasts, Gourmet Garden Basil Herb Blend (in the tube in the refrigerated produce section, I used 3 teaspoons), Holland House White Cooking Wine with Lemon Flavor, and Barilla Plus Penne Pasta.
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil, reserved from sun-dried tomato
- 16 -20 asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed, diagonally sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, approximate
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic or 2 large cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 ounces prepared penne pasta
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces buffalo mozzarella, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place chicken in a baking pan and brush with olive oil. If not using pre-seasoned chicken, sprinkle with a little basil, garlic powder and parsley.
- Bake chicken 30-40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through.
- Remove from oven, cool, and slice into bite-size chunks.
- While baking chicken, cook penne pasta according to package directions, and pre-measure or chop other ingredients.
- Once the chicken is chopped and the penne is prepared, you're ready to put it all together.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil and the olive oil to a large skillet.
- Over medium-high heat, stir-fry the asparagus for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil (1/4 cup if using fresh), oregano, chicken broth, wine and tomato paste.
- Stir together well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 5 minutes until the asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Add prepared pasta and stir well to coat. Cook 1-2 minutes or until pasta is thoroughly heated.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add the buffalo mozzarella chunks and toss mixture about 5 seconds.
- Serve in individual pasta bowls with warm garlic bread.
This was very good! I seasoned my chicken with seasoned salt, italian seasoning and pepper and cooked in a skillet instead of in the oven. I needed to add salt and pepper to my plate but overall I really enjoyed the blend of flavors. I also think adding a small splash of balsamic vinagrette would be pretty tasty as well. Thanks for posting!