Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. A vegetarian Salade Nicoise with pasta. In France, this salad is only served in spring and summer, so use the freshest vegetables you can find. Pasta cooks with potatoes and beans, which makes it easy and fast. From Vegetarian Times Cooks Mediterranean. Have not made this yet.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
This is a good quick salad. I used yellow fleshed new potatoes, a red onion and green olives (family preference). Tomatoes aren't in season yet and I bet this would be even yummier later on when the local tomatoes are available. Made for Jammin' Java Jivers ZWT5
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths (about 4 cups)
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb plum tomato, ripe, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil and add green beans and potatoes. Return to boil and add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente, about 11 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in small skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and olives and set aside.
- Drain the pasta, beans and potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Transfer to serving bowl. Add the tomato mixture, vinegar, pepper and salt and toss to mix.
- If pasta seems too dry add reserved pasta water as needed, a little at a time.