Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love the Penne Napoli you can get at Macaroni Grill. This recipe is as close as I can get, when I dont get a chance to eat out there. Hope you enjoy it.
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansof petite diced tomatoes (I use the kind canned with garlic and olive oil)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 6 -8 pieces fresh ovolini mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta as per box.
- In pan combine the next 8 ingredients.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Toss pasta with sauce.
- Chop the mozzarella into chunks.
- Add the chunked mozzo right before serving.
I've never been to Macaroni Grill but I love penne and thought I'd give your recipe a try. It was wonderful! I used 1 can regular diced tomatoes and 1 can tomatoes with jalapeno - no need for the pepper flakes! Thanks for posting.
I have to speak for myself, but I really liked this. It was "too hot" for my Kiddo and Husband even though I just used 1/2 tsp. of the red pepper flakes. I did add some tomato paste and a little sugar to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes. Thought it was very good, and I bought some excellent mozzarella for it. I think anyone who likes penne,and a little heat,should give your recipe a shot. Thanks.