1/3 Photos of Penne & Italian Sausage Bake
This is my adaptation of a recipe in a Liquor Control Board of Ontario magazine. I usually serve it with Caesar salad & garlic bread and its always been given "2 thumbs up" by my friends & family. You can increase the heat by using hot sausages & adding more cumin - or cayenne or red pepper flakes - according to your own taste! Please note that the starch in the pasta cooking liquid will thicken the sauce when the casserole is baking!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 (700 ml) jar tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 3 cups penne
- 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water
- 3/4 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1Prick sausages in several places.
- 2Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan set over medium high heat.
- 3Add sausages& cook until evenly browned- about 8 minutes.
- 4Remove from pan& cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 5Add onions to fat remaining in pan& saute for about 5 minutes.
- 6Return sausages to pan.
- 7Add fennel, garlic, cumin, peppers& celery; cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 8Drain excess fat from pan.
- 9Stir tomato sauce, basil& wine into sausage mixture.
- 10Bring to a boil, then reduce heat& simmer for 15 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, cook penne, according to package directions until el dente (about 10 minutes).
- 12Drain- reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- 13Combine sausage mixture, pasta & reserved cooking liquid in a 5 litre casserole dish.
- 14Mix well.
- 15Combine Mozarella& Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- 16Stir into the pasta mixture.
- 17Bake in preheated 375F oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne & Italian Sausage Bake
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 768.9
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 95.2 mg
- Sodium 2031.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 36.4 g