Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Aubergines are not as bitter as they used to be so many people think you don't need to salt them. I still do always as it makes them more tender and means they absorb less oil when cooking - essential in this dish
- 1 medium aubergine, cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 275 g penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle aubergine with salt and place in a bowl. Weigh down and leave for 15 minutes Rinse and pat dry.
- Heat oil and fry the aubergine until golden.
- Add wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic and tomatoes, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes (add water if it becomes too thick).
- Cook pasta as per packet.
- Stir cream and herbs into sauce and season if desired.
- Toss pasta and sauce and serve with parmesan on top.