Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Michol Negrin , Cooking Light, MAY 2004
- 2 1/2-ounce slices white bread
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh pecorino romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 lb uncooked penne rigate
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Trim crusts from bread. Place bread in a shallow dish; pour milk over bread. Let stand 5 minutes. Place bread mixture in a food processor; add basil and next 6 ingredients (basil through garlic). Set aside without processing.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3 tablespoons cooking liquid. Place pasta in a large bowl. Add reserved cooking liquid to basil mixture in food processor, and process until smooth. Add the pesto to pasta; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Nutritional Information: CALORIES 378(23% from fat); FAT 9.6g (sat 1.5g,mono 2.6g,poly 4.3g); PROTEIN 13.6g; CHOLESTEROL 3mg; CALCIUM 95mg; SODIUM 365mg; FIBER 3.7g; IRON 3.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 61.1g.