Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a variation of a recipe that was in Bon Apetit magazine years ago. This is a great dish to prepare for a friend or neighbor when they need a little help! I always get rave reviews.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage (remove casings)
- 1 (115 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup white wine
- Saute onions and garlic in butter and olive oil until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add sausage, breaking it up as it cooks until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Add wine and boil until liquid almost evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice from can and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add half and half and simmer until sauce slightly thickens, about 5 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking boil penne in salted water.
- Add to sauce and toss with cheese.
- Serve with a green salad, Italian bread, and more cheese!
This was easy, had great flavor, and I almost always have all the ingredients. Husband and sons ate all of it. This will definitely go into regular rotation at my house. Thanks mOm!