Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Danielle M on allrecipes.com. Use bulk sausage, or link sausage sliced on the bias.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Stir in mushrooms and pasta sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.