Recipe by MsPia
Penne with Gorgonzola Cheese and Tomatoes
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
First, let me state that I am quite put off my gorgonzola cheese. That being said, this recipe was delicious (although not for the diet-conscious)! I couldn't find the right size can of Italian plum tomatoes, but I did find Italian cherry tomatoes. Everything else was exactly as posted, and it was absolutely terrific. Definitely company-worthy! Thanks for sharing this Italian delight. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces gorgonzola
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and basil. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using spoon, beat butter with Gorgonzola cheese until blended.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well. Return pasta to pot.
- Whisk Gorgonzola cheese mixture into tomato sauce.
- Add sauce to pasta and stir to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Romano cheese and serve.