Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a nice casserole for busy days. I get everything ready to put together the night before, everything sauteed and the pasta cooked. The next night i put everything together and stick in the oven. Fast easy meal. Points 6.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 10 ounces ground sirloin
- 1 (28 ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick sauté pan.
- Add the shallot, garlic, pepper and mushrooms, and saute until they begin to soften.
- Add the beef and break up as you cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the tomatoes and basil.
- Simmer while the pasta cooks.
- Cook the penne pasta as per package directions.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Toss with the beef sauce.
- Place one half of the pasta in the bottom of a casserole.
- Top with 1/2 of the parmesan.
- Top with remaining pasta.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese browns and the casserole bubbles.
We enjoyed this very much. I am always looking for low point meals with lots of flavor. Thanks!
We really enjoyed this. It's great when you're looking for a low-point meal that's both satisfying and filling. I used extra garlic and basil, and regular crushed tomatoes (instead of low-sodium). I also added salt. Next time I'm going to make sure I have french bread to go with it!