Recipe by papergoddess
My version of a traditional Bolognese sauce served over penne pasta. Manjia!
Top Review by Rita~
I did or should I say WE enjoyed this recipe! I did skip the bacon. removed the sausage from the casing. Used red and yellow bell peppers. Added 2 yummy tablespoons of dried Italians herbs. I did use a whole 12 ounce can of evaporated milk just because the rest would have been discarded. Thanks for a very hardy comforting meal.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb penne pasta
- 6 slices bacon, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, pureed in the blender
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sauterne or 1⁄4 cup marsala
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk (or regular)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté bacon until fat is rendered; drain fat.
- Add ground chicken, beef, and sausage; brown and drain fat.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, and garlic; sauté until onion is clear.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine, rosemary, and nutmeg; Simmer 45 minutes.
- Add Sauterne or Marsala; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk to smooth out sauce.
- Serve over hot cooked penne pasta.