Recipe by love4culinary
I love to make up new recipes all the time, sometimes daily! I thought this would be an excellent challenge for me, and I think it came out excellent!
Top Review by Jockey
I made this more like a casserole skipping the meatball part and chicken. Just adding the sausage to the noodles and man it turned out great!I want to try the meatball thing but boy just adding the meat by itself turned out beautiful and different. Great flavors! Thanks!
- 2 -3 medium zucchini, trimmed & halved lengthwise (use more or less as desired. I like a little more, but some like a little less!)
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 7 ounces sweet corn (canned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb sweet pork sausage, casings removed (if you would like to have more meat in your dish, you can add more; the same goes for the ground chi)
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- Italian breadcrumbs (amount will depend on moisture in meat and size of egg)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 lb grated Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 2 1/2 quart casserole.
- Cut zucchini squash halves into thirds lengthwise, then crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces, and cut pepper into 1-2 inch thin/med sized slices.
- (If the pepper is large, you may not want to add whole pepper it depends on your taste).
- After you have removed sausage from casing, put into a medium sized bowl.
- Add the ground chicken and egg, and mix using your hands until the egg is completely mixed into the meat.
- Take 1/3 of your onion and chop it very fine.
- Add to meat/egg mixture.
- Then add a small amount of breadcrumbs, and mix with hands again.
- Continue adding a little bit of bread crumbs at a time, until it is the right consistency to form 1 inch round balls with meat.
- Do not get carried away with the breadcrumbs, but do make sure to add enough so that they will stay in ball form.
- Roll into balls.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat (If you find that there is not enough oil[especially if you add more meat], dont be afraid to add a little more; Just dont get carried away!).
- Add meatballs; cook thoroughly.
- Transfer to bowl using slotted spoon (to drain oil).
- Chop up the rest of the onion (this time not very fine) and add to skillet; cook 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini squash and sweet red pepper slices, minced garlic (if you choose) and corn.
- Season and cook 8 minutes.
- Return meat to skillet.
- Add cream and oregano.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add half the fontina and stir until melted.
- Cook penne al dente, drain and return to pot.
- Add sauce and toss through to coat.
- Transfer to casserole and top with remaining fontina.
- Bake until heated through, about 15 to 20 minutes.