Recipe by LonghornMama
This is a quick lowfat meatless dinner, easy because it uses items always on hand, and different because the sauce is milk rather than tomato based. Got this from my friend Diana and make it often. If I have time, I like to use fresh spinach, lightly steamed, and fresh Parmesan cheese.
Top Review by jade76
I was so happy to find a good vegetarian recipe that did NOT involve black beans or corn. I would like for the sauce to be a bit creamier, but that would just add fat, and it would no longer be a reasonably light dish. For what it is, it's very good.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 T butter until tender.
- Add flour and stir to coat onions.
- Add milk and cook over medium low until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat; add 1/4 c cheese and seasonings.
- Combine pasta, sauce, 1 c cheese, tomatoes and spinach in large bowl.
- Spoon into greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs, 2 T cheese and 1 T butter.
- Sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.