1/4 Photos of Penne and Spinach Bake
This is a quick lowfat meatless dinner, easy because it uses items always on hand, and different because the sauce is milk rather than tomato based. Got this from my friend Diana and make it often. If I have time, I like to use fresh spinach, lightly steamed, and fresh Parmesan cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- 2Saute onion and garlic in 1 T butter until tender.
- 3Add flour and stir to coat onions.
- 4Add milk and cook over medium low until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- 5Remove from heat; add 1/4 c cheese and seasonings.
- 6Combine pasta, sauce, 1 c cheese, tomatoes and spinach in large bowl.
- 7Spoon into greased 13x9 baking dish.
- 8Combine bread crumbs, 2 T cheese and 1 T butter.
- 9Sprinkle over pasta.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne and Spinach Bake
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.0
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.2 mg
- Sodium 550.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic