This recipe is from the Milk Calendar which I receive annually. It is a one pot recipe which I made often when I was working, and still come back to when I need a "comfort food" dish. The ingredients can be varied to suit your family's taste. I don't use the chili powder and usually let simmer for about 25 min over med low heat with occasional stirring.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder (I don't use) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used seasoned Italian style 540ml)
- 250 g penne pasta
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (grated)
- Cut sausage into 1" pieces, easier if slightly frozen.
- In large fry pan (I used electric) cook sausage over medium-high meat until browned on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and chili powder if using.
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in cornstarch.
- Add milk, stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add tomatoes and penne pasta.
- Return to boil, cover and simmer 15 min or until pasta is tender or to your preference.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese and serve.