Recipe by dissjwine
This recipe is from the Milk Calendar which I receive annually. It is a one pot recipe which I made often when I was working, and still come back to when I need a "comfort food" dish. The ingredients can be varied to suit your family's taste. I don't use the chili powder and usually let simmer for about 25 min over med low heat with occasional stirring.
Top Review by TheGrumpyChef
Great Dish! Though the we would have preferred it a little "saucier", it had a great flavor. I doubled the red pepper flakes, and used 1/2 Parmesan 1/2 Mozzarella. And I added a diced green bell pepper (I have too many, and have been putting them in everything lately). Thanks for sharing your recipe, it's a definite keeper! Made for My 3 Chefs Nov. 08.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder (I don't use) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used seasoned Italian style 540ml)
- 250 g penne pasta
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut sausage into 1" pieces, easier if slightly frozen.
- In large fry pan (I used electric) cook sausage over medium-high meat until browned on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and chili powder if using.
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in cornstarch.
- Add milk, stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add tomatoes and penne pasta.
- Return to boil, cover and simmer 15 min or until pasta is tender or to your preference.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese and serve.