1/1 Photo of Penne and Italian Sausage
Chef #426229 Picton43's Note:
This recipe is from the Milk Calendar which I receive annually. It is a one pot recipe which I made often when I was working, and still come back to when I need a "comfort food" dish. The ingredients can be varied to suit your family's taste. I don't use the chili powder and usually let simmer for about 25 min over med low heat with occasional stirring.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder (I don't use) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used seasoned Italian style 540ml)
- 250 g penne pasta
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1Cut sausage into 1" pieces, easier if slightly frozen.
- 2In large fry pan (I used electric) cook sausage over medium-high meat until browned on all sides.
- 3Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and chili powder if using.
- 4Cook until onion is tender.
- 5Stir in cornstarch.
- 6Add milk, stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- 7Add tomatoes and penne pasta.
- 8Return to boil, cover and simmer 15 min or until pasta is tender or to your preference.
- 9Stir in mozzarella cheese and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne and Italian Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 891.1
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 118.0 mg
- Sodium 2075.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 45.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: