Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lovely blend of cheeses makes this incredibly good.
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded havarti cheese
- 1 cup shredded colby cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Follow the package directions to cook the penne pasta; add the broccoli to the pot during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.
- In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and salt to taste (I use 1/2 teaspoon).
- Cook, while stirring until blended.
- Slowly add half-and-half, stirring constantly; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens; remove from heat.
- Add the cheeses; stir until melted.
- Add the penne and broccoli; stir to mix well.
- Spoon mixture into an ungreased 8-inch square casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the topping ingredients; sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top.