Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is quick and simple.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 lbs penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil and butter in a sauce pan.
- Smack the garlic with a knife and add to olive oil with the onion.
- Cook until garlic is slightly brown and onion is clear.
- 4 minutes.
- Add prosciutto to mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Chop tomatoes in a food processor with quick pluses until finely chopped.
- Don't over pluse.
- Add tomatoes to mix and cook for 5 minutes,simmering.
- Add bay leaf, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add vodka to mix and cook for 10 minutes, simmering.
- Cook penne until al dente.
- Remove garlic cloves from sauce.
- Add heavy cream, mix well and simmer 1 minute.
- Toss penne with sauce and sprinkle parsley over the pasta and service.
I have a version of this recipe in "The Sopranos" cookbook. It is HEAVENLY! So glad someone shared it here. It is easy but so flavorful and dressy enough for guests. YUM! I highly recommend this one.