Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
THE ABSOLUTE BEST PENNE ALLA VODKA ANYWHERE!! CREAMY, RICH, TOMATO, VODKA SAUCE, WITH PROSCUITTO. I GUARANTEE YOU WILL LOVE THIS DISH!! *tip* squeeze the tomatoes to drain them so the sauce isnt watery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 cup thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup vodka (only a kind you would drink)
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a wide pot big enough to hold all the pasta and sauce, melt the butter.
- add the garlic and cook until golden brown.
- stir in the proscuitto and cook for a a minute or two.
- add the tomatoes, crushed pepper, pepper and salt.
- simmer for 5 minutes.
- stir in the cream and cook for 2 minutes stirring alot.
- add the vodka and cook until it no longer smells strongly of vodka (about 3-5 minutes).
- cook the pasta as directed on box but al dente.
- add the pasta to the pot with the sauce and mix until it is all coated over the pasta.
- toss with the cheese and serve immediately.
I did make a few minor modifications to this recipe. I had made it twice before and decided to change it. I added 3 shallots to the first step and used crushed tomatoes since we don't favor a chunky sauce, and I added some oregano. However, I STILL had to puree everything in a blender so that the prosciutto flavor blended better. My husband and sister loved it! I guess the third time really is the charm. This got added to my recipe collection, we'll definitely be making again.
****Original review 7/21/2008: Prosciutto, garlic, cream....how could one go wrong! Excellent flavor. I used fire roasted diced tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes. Since my DH & DD are not big fans of "chunky sauces" I might try this next time with crushed tomato....I bet it would be wonderful. Definitely a keeper! Thanks for posting! New 2010: I made this using crushed tomatos and it was much better appreciated by my DH and DD. I forgot to add the parmesan cheese, but passed it at the table. It tasted a bit sweet without it for some reason, so I won't forget it next time!
Amazing! I'm not a fan of reviews that talk about modifications, but here I go. I added cubed grilled chicken for more protein because the box of my favorite brand of "healthy" pasta is less than a pound. It was superb. Definitely adding this one to my favorite recipe binder!