Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my most adored cook, Nigella Lawsons' recipe, and its really great. The flavour of vodka is subtle, yet it takes the sauce to another level, this must be tried, and it feeds an army of hungry friends!! Can also be halved easily.
- Finely chop the onion, in a large saucepan heat the oil and add the onion and a good sprinkling of salt, cook over fairly low heat for 15 minutes stirring often, it should be soft and almost starting to caramalize.
- Put a large pot of water (enough to cook the pasta) on to boil.
- Add the tomatoes to the onion and continue cooking at a gentle heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the cream and take off the heat.
- Once the water is boiling add a good amount of salt, and tip in the penne.
- Cook 3 minutes less than the package says to insure you reach the al dante stage, so test early.
- Once cooke drain well and add back to pot.
- Add the vodka, butter and some more salt, and toss to combine.
- Add to the sauce or vice versa whichever pot can hold it all, and mix till well coated with the sauce.
- Serve in warm bowls, with warm crusty buns and parmesan cheese!
- Yummy yum yum.
I've made Penne a la Vodka a few times and loved it but hearing Nigella's name, I thought I would try this. We didn't care for this at all. The sauce wasn't creamy enough and even though I used a medium onion, it was too much onion. Sorry. I wanted to like it.