Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A terrific pasta sauce recipe from Come Dine with Me, guest & winner John's grandmother's recipe. On the show he only used 1 chili, although he said he normally uses 2. I used 2 bird chilies and personally could even go hotter, so adjust the heat according to your tastes. I seasoned several times while making this.. you have to be careful not to add too much to start as the capers and anchovies already add some salt to the dish.
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, chopped finely
- 1 -2 red chile, chopped finely
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely (1 large handful)
- 100 g pitted black olives, chopped (drained weight)
- 5 tablespoons capers
- 1 (50 g) can anchovies packed in oil, drained, chopped finely
- 4 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- sugar, to taste (a tspful or so, depends on the acidity of the tomatoes)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces penne pasta, cooked, drained
- Over medium-low heat, saute the onions, garlic, and chilli in a couple of Tbsp of olive oil until soft, about 10-15 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley and season well.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes, stirring the mixture well, then stir in the olives, capers, anchovies, a small amount of sugar (to reduce acidity), some more seasoning to taste, and a drizzle of olive oil(optional, I didn't add any extra oil).
- Let simmer over low heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 45 min to a an hour, until thick and reduced and the color has darkened to a reddish-brown.
- Test for flavors and adjust seasoning, adding more salt & pepper and/or another pinch of sugar as needed.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package, drain(reserving some of the liquid) and then return to the pan.
- Ladle in a few helpings of the sauce at a time, stopping to stir the mixture, until all of the pasta has been generously coated, serving the rest on the side.
- This sauce is very thick, which we loved, but adding a bit of the pasta cooking liquid will thin it if you prefer a bit looser sauce.
- Serve immediately.