Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This easy pizza-inspired pasta, similar to lasagna, is adapted from Bugialli on Pasta, by Giuliano Bugialli (Simon & Schuster, 1988).
- 1 medium celery, diced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 20 large basil leaves
- 2 lbs fresh roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped or 2 lbs a 2 pound can of seasoned tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb regular penne or 1 lb multigrain penne
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 8 ounces lowfat mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 30 gaeta olives or 30 kalamata olives, drained and pitted
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F Combine celery, red onion, garlic, carrots, five slices basil leaves, tomatoes, and olive oil in a saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat for an hour, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook penne according to package instruction, minus one minute, so pasta is slightly undercooked. Drain. Coat a 13- x 9-inch pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine penne, tomato sauce, mozzarella, oregano, olives, remaining basil leaves (shredded or torn), and salt and pepper to taste. Gently mix ingredients and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15 minutes, covered with foil. Serve hot.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.