Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was created while making Penne alla Vodka when I realized I was out of Vodka. Oh NO! I made a few changes to a recipe I'd used in the past and my family thought it was perfect without the Vodka. I was given orders not to change a thing next time. This makes a great meal served with grilled Italian sausage on the side or mixed with the pasta & "pink" sauce.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked (can use rigatoni)
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In one pot boil water for pasta.
- In a heavy pot melt the butter.
- Add the garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, crushed pepper, onion powder, basil, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook the pasta as directed.
- Stir in the cream and cook for 2 minutes stirring alot.
- Add the pasta to the pot with the sauce and mix until it is all coated over the pasta.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated cheese.
I really loved this; and made a few minor adjustments according to what I had in my pantry. <br/><br/>I didn't have heavy cream - so I made a thick white sauce with butter, flour, and milk. I added homegrown parsley and spicy basil which I chopped very finely. <br/><br/>I also used some "Spicy Sea Salt Blend" - in a shaker that I purchased from my local grocer. It came out SOOOO good - I will certainly make this again and again. Funny how my 10 year old girl wanted a second serving.