I love this recipe! I make it often and enjoy it with a tossed green salad, Italian garlic bread and a glass of wine! One of our favorites and so easy to do! Make sure you toss the pasta immediately with the sauce so the pasta will not stick. Bon Appetito!
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 6 ounces genoa salami, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup torn fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- While heating the water to cook pasta, heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until soft and beginning to color, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, salami, and red pepper flakes, saute until salami caramelizes, 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar and vinegar.
- Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the water is boiling for pasta, cook pasta to al dente.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup liquid to thin the sauce, if necessary.
- Transfer sauce to a larger shallow bowl.
- Add the drained pasta, torn basil, and Parmesan to the sauce (tearing the basil won't discolor it like cutting does); toss to coat.
- Serve pasta immediately.