1/3 Photos of Penne All' Arrabbiata
I love this recipe! I make it often and enjoy it with a tossed green salad, Italian garlic bread and a glass of wine! One of our favorites and so easy to do! Make sure you toss the pasta immediately with the sauce so the pasta will not stick. Bon Appetito!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 6 ounces genoa salami, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup torn fresh basil leaf
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1While heating the water to cook pasta, heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion and saute until soft and beginning to color, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add garlic, salami, and red pepper flakes, saute until salami caramelizes, 5-7 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar and vinegar.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Once the water is boiling for pasta, cook pasta to al dente.
- 8Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup liquid to thin the sauce, if necessary.
- 9Transfer sauce to a larger shallow bowl.
- 10Add the drained pasta, torn basil, and Parmesan to the sauce (tearing the basil won't discolor it like cutting does); toss to coat.
- 11Serve pasta immediately.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne All' Arrabbiata
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.6
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 48.8 mg
- Sodium 1205.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 22.1 g