Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious pasta dish, with lots of flavor. It has a bit of a kick to it, so you may want to adjust red pepper flakes and chili peppers, to taste, if needed. I received this from a friend at my bridal shower. Note that the time needed to cook is dependent upon how thick you like your sauce, which affects the simmering time.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 1-2 garlic clove, diced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 118.29 ml red bell pepper, diced
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 14.79 ml sun-dried tomato pesto or 14.79 ml sun-dried tomato puree
- 14.79 ml tomato paste (optional, use if you want to thicken sauce)
- 1-2 fresh whole red chili pepper
- 14.79 ml fresh basil, chopped and divided
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated, to taste (for garnish)
- 453.59 g penne pasta
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, and salt until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in red pepper flakes and bell pepper, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan and mixing them inches.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and juice, pepper, sun-dried tomato pesto or puree, and the optional tomato paste, if desired.
- Bring sauce to a boil, add the whole red chili peppers, and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally, until sauce has reduced to desired thickness. I usually simmer about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare penne according to package directions.
- Remove chili peppers from sauce when ready, and stir in half of the basil and parsley.
- Spoon sauce over top of pasta to serve, and garnish with remaining basil, parsley, and fresh Parmesan.
I used Christophers Ranch sun dried pesto. Home grown tomatoes in place of the canned ones. Made for Oct veggie tag. Quick and easy. Tasty good! Thanks.