1/2 Photos of Penne Al'arrabiatta
A delicious pasta dish, with lots of flavor. It has a bit of a kick to it, so you may want to adjust red pepper flakes and chili peppers, to taste, if needed. I received this from a friend at my bridal shower. Note that the time needed to cook is dependent upon how thick you like your sauce, which affects the simmering time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 1-2 garlic clove, diced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 118.29 ml red bell pepper, diced
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 14.79 ml sun-dried tomato pesto or 14.79 ml sun-dried tomato puree
- 14.79 ml tomato paste (optional, use if you want to thicken sauce)
- 1-2 fresh whole red chili pepper
- 14.79 ml fresh basil, chopped and divided
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated, to taste (for garnish)
- 453.59 g penne pasta
- 1Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, and salt until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in red pepper flakes and bell pepper, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 3Add wine and reduce, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan and mixing them inches.
- 4Pour in crushed tomatoes and juice, pepper, sun-dried tomato pesto or puree, and the optional tomato paste, if desired.
- 5Bring sauce to a boil, add the whole red chili peppers, and reduce to a simmer.
- 6Stir occasionally, until sauce has reduced to desired thickness. I usually simmer about 30 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, prepare penne according to package directions.
- 8Remove chili peppers from sauce when ready, and stir in half of the basil and parsley.
- 9Spoon sauce over top of pasta to serve, and garnish with remaining basil, parsley, and fresh Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne Al'arrabiatta
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.3
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 395.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sun-dried tomato pesto