Recipe by Starrynews
A delicious pasta dish, with lots of flavor. It has a bit of a kick to it, so you may want to adjust red pepper flakes and chili peppers, to taste, if needed. I received this from a friend at my bridal shower. Note that the time needed to cook is dependent upon how thick you like your sauce, which affects the simmering time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto or 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional, use if you want to thicken sauce)
- 1 -2 fresh whole red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped and divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated, to taste (for garnish)
- 16 ounces penne pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, and salt until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in red pepper flakes and bell pepper, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan and mixing them inches.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and juice, pepper, sun-dried tomato pesto or puree, and the optional tomato paste, if desired.
- Bring sauce to a boil, add the whole red chili peppers, and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally, until sauce has reduced to desired thickness. I usually simmer about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare penne according to package directions.
- Remove chili peppers from sauce when ready, and stir in half of the basil and parsley.
- Spoon sauce over top of pasta to serve, and garnish with remaining basil, parsley, and fresh Parmesan.