Recipe by ozzygirl
Love my pasta dishes. I especially love penne al'arrabbiata for the explosion of chilli that hits your mouth on each bite! It's a great healthy alternative to a bolognese or cream sauce that so often accompanies a pasta meal suggestion. Tip: If you are worried about how hot it will be, remove the seeds from the hot chilli's and add them separately as you cook, to control the hotness. The amount of chilli you use is entirely a personal preference.
Top Review by mianbao
This is wonderful! The sauce is savory and spicy and just plain delicious. I'm so glad I tried it. I followed the recipe in everything, but I did add a red bell pepper, just because I had one. I also think that between tastings while the sauce was cooking, and a generous serving, it will be gone sooner than planned. Which is okay, because it's not hard to make, either. Thank you very much for posting this recipe. I also want to add that I didn't recognize the kind of sausage listed. I used a fairly dry sausage, sort of like pepperoni, but not so spicy. I think it worked.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large cabanosa sausage
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green capsicum
- 3 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 3 large anchovies packed in oil
- 2 small hot chili peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- olive oil (for cooking)
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese
- 6 -8 cups cooked penne
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, saute cabanosa, then add onions, capsicum, garlic, anchovies & fresh chilli.
- Add tinned tomato's, stock, tomato paste, and herbs and stir.
- Season with salt & pepper and add extra chilli sauce (if you require an extra zap!) then reduce heat and let simmer for up to an hour.
- Add extra water as needed if you feel it is reducing too quick.
- Cook penne as per packet instructions and drain once cooked.
- Stir arriabbiatta sauce through penne and serve with parsley garnish and parmesan cheese.